Monday, February 28, 2022

Fish Market

As one might expect on an island, fish is a large part of the local diet. I don’t think it is a cost issue, but I don’t know much about grocery prices so I can’t really tell. Everything is expensive. Fish seem to have a prominent place on restaurant menus and at COSTCO. You have items like poke available in grocery stores and fish tacos from many food trucks. I do really like the fish we have here. It must be because it is fresh caught and unfrozen.

Natasha and Oleg are leaving today so we went to the Dolphin Fish Market in Hanalei to get fish for one final feast. The display case in one of these markets always intrigues me. The fish is always displayed in such large chunks that are solid and often a different color than you see in the Midwest. I have the utmost respect for walleye, but uncooked ocean fish just makes you hungry. 


My own iPhone was not charged so I had to borrow Cindy’s to take these photos. Watching what goes on in the background is also interesting because you can see the larger slabs of fish being cut into smaller pieces for display and sale. I did not really have the opportunity to get any photos this time, but maybe on a future trip.


We bought Striped Marlin and one fillet of Kona Kompachi (no idea). The Marlin steaks are shown in the second photo. The taste was excellent. Click the display case to blow it up and get the full effect. 





No comments:

Post a Comment