Friday, February 11, 2022

The Great Puka Dog

Before our guests Laura and Greg returned stateside, we had to find and consume a Puka Dog. I admit that my previous trips to Hawaii had not included eating a puka dog, but evidently this is on one of those lists you must complete so it was a task that must be done. 

The puka dog seems to me pretty much a brat in a bun that has not been sliced. This is not to be confused with a corn dog as the bun in this case is like a regular brat bun, but unsliced. The process, in pictures, follows.


Sign proving our experience was authentic


Ordering - type of meat, sauce, relish, mustard. Polish is the only way to go. Mild sauce when inexperienced. I skipped the relishes. Mustard.


Special bun preparation equipment, The buns are first impaled on these heated spikes (the puka) and warmed from the inside.


The puka master injects the sauce, relish, and mustard according to the specifics of your order.


The finished product.

I had to add the following picture Laura was willing to share. It captures the great uncertainty and the related courage it requires to take on a new culinary challenge. Foodies forge ahead.



I spent some additional time researching Puka Dogs so I would be able to offer an informed perspective. First, Puka Dogs are called Hula Dogs in some locations. I have no idea which came first. In reading about the Hula Dog, I did learn that they are made with a puka (the heated spike or the hole I am not certain). The location we visited for our Puka experience has a video offering a more complete experience than I could provide. You can evidently prepare a Puka Dog at home. I tried Amazon to find the necessary equipment, but this must be an item too  specialized even for Amazon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment