Friday, March 22, 2019

Map and photograph my walk

This is another app recommendation for travelers. I have used the free version of the MapMyWalk app for several years. It is a phone app that is promoted as a fitness resource, but I tend to use it as its name implies - I want to establish a record of a walk. I use a fitbit for fitness and I don't run anymore so the speed with which I get somewhere is not really an issue. I started using this app because I get lost easily and the map of where I have walked offers me a very precise way to retrace my steps.

This app has some features that I sometimes use on trips. It allows me to collect photos (5 with the free version) and save them with a map of a specific walk. The map and photos can be shared online or just reviewed should you want to revisit what you did at a specific place. The photos are not geotagged to precise locations on the map is kind of a shame because this is very doable, but my walks are not that long so it is kind of interesting to just say "here are five things I saw on my walk".

The following is the home app screen stored after the completion of a walk. The image at the top is one saved from the walk and a small icon on this image provides access to the other saved images. The map saves the route with time and distance recorded below.


The app records a great deal of data some may find useful. The following display shows the pace at different points along the walk overload on a representation of the change in elevation. The data I found interesting is that my pace changed considerably when I stopped to take a picture along the route. 


Images are captured without existing the app. The photos are displayed and then you are asked if you want to retain the image captured as part of the record of that specific walk.





Just for the record, this map was generated while walking to the Frenchman's Cafe for breakfast.




No comments:

Post a Comment