Wednesday, March 13, 2019

In search of the green flash

The green flash sounds like a comic book hero, but it refers to a meteorological phenomenon most often observed when the sun first sinks below the horizon. I have always assumed this meant the ocean or a large lake, but I guess it is possible it occurs in other ways. According to my source for such factual information, Wikipedia, the cause is the bending of light through the atmosphere and not water as I had assumed. The flash is experienced as a flash or a spot of green light that is very brief - a second or so,

We have the opportunity to view the sunset nearly every night from our lanai. I have been looking. A few nights ago I thought I saw it. I did not experience it as a flash, but as a tiny green dot, a single pixel, on the surface of the ocean. This did not seem to be a flash to me and because I had yet to search online sources for information I thought it may have been my imagination. It is possible to locate photographic examples online and the green dot was there.

Last evening I decided I would try to capture the flash myself and since it seemed unlikely I could capture the exact instant with a still camera, I thought I would try video. I could then go through the video frame by frame to find proof. I had no luck. I did not see a flash again so there was nothing from the video. The atmospheric conditions must not have been cooperating.




No comments:

Post a Comment