Tuesday, March 19, 2019

AI and flower ID

For anyone from the midwest, photographing the flowers of Hawaii becomes a constant activity. The flowers are everywhere even this time of year and they are truly beautiful. At some point, you exhaust yourself on the artistic value of your growing photo collection and you start to think beyond the vibrant colors and the huge blossoms. You begin with simple questions. I wonder what this plant is called? You may wonder about other things as well. How does this flower grow in the crook of this tree without having roots in the soil?

I started mixing tech with photography a long time ago. My biology background even plays a role in both my plant photography and my interest in technology. I began exploring apps on my phone that claimed they could be helpful in plant identification. Point your camera at a plant and the app would tell you what that plant was and direct you to additional information about the plant. I have read about face recognition and the role artificial intelligence plays in making this possible. It made some sense that the same technology might be applied to plant identification.

During last year's visit to Kauai, I explored an app called PlantSnap. This year I added iNaturalist to my app collection. Both work in a similar way. You take a photo and the app makes a guess as to what appears in the photo. The app also offers some other possibilities and relies on you to evaluate the first choice and the alternatives. If nothing makes sense, the app farms out your photo to the public that follows the app to see if anyone has an idea. Selecting a choice offers a way to get additional information.

Evaluating these apps presents a problem. You must know what you are looking at in order to determine if the app made a correct identification. Here are three photos I took walking home from the coffee shop and the top choice offered by each app.


[PlantSnap]

[iNaturalist]


[PlantSnap]

[iNaturalist]



[iNaturalist]


I know both apps were correct with the genus. I am not capable of evaluating the accuracy at the species level.

There are other ways to do this. You can purchase a plant identification book. There are even online keys that offer an identification approach based on color. I have decided the flowers are probably easy, but I wonder what happens when the app is asked about a plain green plant. I don't have any examples and I am not certain I would be able to check the responses, but I have a few more days here and plenty of specimens I can photograph.

There may be no post tomorrow. We have to move out of our condo and into a hotel. Two of our kids and their families did not have a Spring break option during the two months we originally booked so we had to find a way to extend our stay. I hear there is still snow and flooding in the midwest so this has worked out well.








No comments:

Post a Comment