Thursday, February 21, 2019

Vacation?



I got a haircut today. I have no favorite barber here so I picked Big Island Barbers because it was close. I normally get my cut at one of the "clips" chain stores back home. This shop turned out to be an interesting place. When I walked in I recognized the barber chairs, but this giant air compressor in the middle of the room was confusing. I am certain there is a story that goes along with this decor, but I am not certain what it is. I could make something up, but I have been anti fake news lately. While I was waiting my turn I considered getting one of the "fades" pictured on the overhead screen, but in the end I settled for my traditional "#2 all over". Old guys with sparse hair on top look about as good as can be expected when they don't get too fancy. Those old hippie guys with pony tails and no hair on top just seem sad to me. They did shave my neck rather than just use a clippers. None of my barbers since I left North Dakota has done this. Old school I guess.

I was thinking about the oddity of getting a hair cut during a vacation. It may sound like an odd thing to waste time thinking about, but really how many men do this? You get your hair cut before you go or don't bother until you get back. I started thinking about this because someone mentioned being on vacation. Can someone who is retired be on vacation? Vacation from what? I suppose escaping the nearly 30 inches of snow that fell at home could be the what.

I just think that we now live in different places. When you get your hair cut in Hawaii this translates as living in a different place. I do many of the things here I did back in Minnesota. I walk to the coffee shop. I read. I write. I take a few pictures. We have friends drop by. I even made a little money. I see that I have earned 28 cents because there were 3 clicks on ads associated with this travel blog. This won't even pay for my hair cut, but it is more money than I made blogging in Minnesota. I am going to have to refer to Hawaii as the place I work and Minnesota as the place I vacation.

Working away in surf city.

No comments:

Post a Comment