Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Plov

When we spend time with Natasha and Oleg, we know we will eat well. Both are great cooks and Natasha is a master baker. Following her on Facebook is like watching that British Bake Off show.

Anyway, one dish we have regularly is called Plov. I found this recipe online and it seems to match what we ate last night. Plov is a rice dish that includes lamb as the protein source. I do not think we have ever eaten lamb at home, but we have had two different lamb dishes since Natasha and Oleg arrived. It turns out you can purchase lamb at Costco.


We have eaten Plov with our Russian friends several times and I remember this picture I took in 2013 showing Oleg's brother preparing Plov at the dacha.  He made it outside using the more traditional dome shaped cooking dish which you can see in the picture. The recipe I link above describes this cooking dish as a "cattle". I tried everything I could think of to learn about a "cattle" online, but could find only information on cows. Maybe the word was misspelled in the recipe.


A couple of pictures from this morning's breakfast to further illustrate the same topic.






No comments:

Post a Comment