Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Reality

I spend a lot of my time reading and writing about the applications of technology. My primary focus is on education, but it is impossible to separate what tools such as online social media can do in the classroom from the more general impact these tools can have in society. Many of the tools or at least the humans developing these tools have motives that result in some negative consequences for users. I have been reading a lot recently about serveiliance capitalism. This is the collection of personal data that is the by product of the use of social media services and the use of these data for financial gain. The topics we write about. The things we "like", comment on, or share and so forth provide information useful to others. These signals allow others to understand our interests and values and to use this information to manipulate us. To do this effectively, the collection of more data is always better. Social platforms are built to encourage more and more use to make this collection possible. We are easily encouraged by the same signals that offer information to companies. We like to get "likes". We like to have online friends. We adapt our own online behavior accordingly. There is a cycle of interaction here between online profits and our increasing commitment to online activity.

One consequence of efforts to increase attention to our presence is the perception others might get that we are more interesting, exciting, or successful than they are. This encourages others to up their online game perpetuating this cycle, but also establishes impossible standards for personal accomplishments. This type of social comparison is inevitable, but can be damaging. Online presence tends to exaggerate real life. We seldom write about the mundane things that actually comprise most of our daily realities. Maybe we should. You may remember when the invitation for a Tweet was "what are you doing" and people who respond with what they were having for breakfast. We got away for such descriptions, but at least they were realistic.

 I started to think about this while writing my travel blog. I enjoy sharing my life because I am fascinated by what I inexperience and I enjoy writing. I am at a time in life when I can do these things. Being this old is not a reflection of superiority, but a matter of good luck and good genes. I believe we all have interesting life experiences and should appreciate these personal experiences and I also wish others an appreciation for what they experience. If I am different than you, it is likely that I write about some of the things that happen to me as a hobby and you probably don’t. We process of our lives in different ways.  

I had two slices of toast with Hawaiian honey for breakfast. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment