Friday, February 1, 2019

I am not a water (or sand or hot sun) person


I am not a water person unless I am sitting in a boat. In Hawaii, I must constantly excuse myself and find refuge on shore under some type of protective cover. My wife and most guests are just the opposite. Hawaii is where you go to sit in the sand and swim or float in the water.

I can swim a little, but I prefer to engage in this activity in a pool. I used to be more of a risk taker, but I nearly met my early end snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. I was told you floated easily in salt water and you could just cruise around and look at the fish. I jumped off the reef platform into water of a great depth. I tilted my head backwards and my snorkel tube immediately allowed me to exhale sea water and partially flood my mask. I did not float and splashed my way back to the platform in shame and sat until the rest of my family ended their snorkeling and scuba adventures. I don’t care if you can sit in the shallow end, put your head in the water, and watch the fish. I am not a water person.


This is Cindy’s new snorkel mask. She has always been into testing the newest technology. She says this style makes snorkeling very pleasant. Last year in Kauai, they warned people that this type of mask made things too easy for beginners and they could easily lose track of where they were and get themselves into trouble. Cindy is not exactly a beginner. I am content to sit in the shade far from the water and write. No chance I will get myself into trouble.

Cindy purchased a camera that can be used under water and took these photos. 




No comments:

Post a Comment