Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Sea turtles

Sea turtles are considered endangered, but I have the opportunity to view them pretty much anytime the tide is low. They climb onto the rocks below our lanai and if want to get a closer look I can approach them for a photo. I saw 6 while I went down to take this picture. This photo was taken with my iPhone, but I have others taken with a telephoto that provide nice closeups.


On Hawaii you are most likely to see Green and Hawksbill sea turtles. I am guessing these are Green sea turtles as they are more common. The turtles we saw last year on Kauai were much larger probably twice the size of the largest one in this photo. Turtles do come onto the sand to lay their eggs, but I think the ones we see all of the time are just warming up.


This is what our shoreline looks like at low tide. Lava is everywhere on Hawaii and eventually I will stop along the road and take a few photos of the vast fields of lava that make up much of the countryside. No crops or even grazing are possible so there is not much that can be done with large areas of land. While the shoreline is very interesting with tide pools and access to the water and to turtles, I find this stuff very difficult to walk on especially when it is wet.  The surfers  seem to make their way across this stuff in bare feet and I have yet to see one slip.  Too dangerous for an old guy.




No comments:

Post a Comment