Monday, April 16, 2018

Hangin' with my peeps

I am easily intimidated in this environment. So much sophistication:
  • People who speak multiple languages and who have been to so many places.
  • People who recount stories from the dozens of cruises they have taken.
  • People who can keep which is a white and which is a red wine straight.
  • Even people with those giant wrist watches.
What is the deal with those watches anyway? Perhaps they are suited to people with poor eye sight or people who do not like to carry a phone. I know they are expensive, but there must be easier ways to show off. Buy a current season Twins baseball cap and a jersey with a player from the present roster. This would be a better and more subtle way to show folks just how cool you are.

Whenever I am feeling particularly intimidated, I head to the iLounge - a place where I can be around people I understand and I can fit in. This ship has a combination computer lab and Apple store. If you purchase an iPad on the ship you get free access to wifi for a day or so. I must say that wifi access is better than I expected. Cindy and I take turns connecting to the account we purchased. Each time one of us logs in the other individual gets shut down. So far, this has not become an issue between us, but there is the possibility of an altercation always on the horizon.

You can tell how tech savvy these folks are. I heard one such gentleman complaining that a speedier wifi would be appreciated as he had purchased the 90-minute plan and he wasn't getting his money's worth.

All of that rhetoric about digital natives aside, I don’t see any of them in the iLounge. This native stuff is all hype as far as I can tell. So, me and several of my over-70 friends can check Facebook without competition from the younger crowd. They are probably still sleeping off last nights glow in the dark dance party.

Here is to hangin’ with my peeps.



No comments:

Post a Comment