Monday, January 24, 2022

B-

 Sunsets and sunrises seem to be a big deal here. There are sunset cruises on the ocean and a golf cart sunset tour originating at a nearby country club. Folks pay to follow a guide cart that takes the participants across the course to a cliff with a good view of the same mountains I watch for free. I have to supply my own drink. At our location, the tourists walk past our lanai with their glasses of wine, horderves, and lawn chairs to take in the daily event from the cliff edge vantage point.

Not all sunsets are created equal. On the Big Island I remember trying to photograph the green flash. There is supposed to be a green flash at the moment the sun sinks into the ocean. I continually tried to photograph this flash even resorting to video so I could go frame by frame looking for the flash. I never saw the flash, but I believe it exists because the Green Flash was the name of my favorite coffee shop on that island. If you search this blog for "green flash" you should find the story of my search for the flash.

I have taken to grading the sunsets. Sometimes there are clouds and nothing to see. The best in my rating system happen when there is a cloud bank with an opening just before the sun would sink behind the mountains. This offers some interesting colors. The event last night was pretty "meh". I give it a B-. At least, there was something to see and the view of the ocean and mountains is always impressive. 


If sunsets are your thing, I think the small lake in northern Wisconsin where we have a cabin has some of the best. The colors are spectacular with some reds nearly any evening. Here is a special case. We had lots of smoke in the air from fires in Canada and the Boundary Waters of Minnesota. Not only was the sky red, but so was the sun and the reflection on the lake.





No comments:

Post a Comment