Sunday, February 9, 2020

One fine chicken


One way to spot the tourists on Kauai is to watch to see if they take photos of the chickens. I try to limit my chicken photography to one or two shots per visit so I don't stand out.

There are other birds to photograph here, but these chickens seem special (and they are abundant). These are not your standard white chickens or even Rhode Island Reds. these birds are big and beautiful.

The chickens in Kauai are far more abundant on other islands. I found this resource for those who would like to learn a little more or who are not willing to trust my story telling. These birds were brought in from Polynesians, but like other purposeful or accidental biological transplants, they have few natural predators to keep them in check. I thought last time we were here I saw more cats which would prey on the babies, but I don't see the cats this year. I have been told that the meat does not taste like domestic chickens so there is little interest in killing the for food.

The do crow in the early morning and to a lesser extent throughout the day. Loud.

It could be worse. They seem to leave behind far fewer droppings than the Canadian geese that are the plague of our lake place.

No comments:

Post a Comment