Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Hibiscus

We have spent little time visiting tropical locations so I can't compare Kauai to other locations that are warm, fertile, and wet. The thing I find so impressive about this place is the weight and diversity of the biomass. Green vegetations everywhere. This is not the monoculture fields of agricultural areas and not the heavy timber growth of the area we spend so much time at in Northern Wisconsin. This is green growing on green with so much natural vegetation, variety and flowering species.

I frequently walk to or from a coffee shop I like to inhabit to read and write. It is a little over two miles away from the condo we stay in. With the exception of the golf courses that line part of this road, much of the rest of the hike is through areas lined with hedges of hibiscus. I don't know where the hibiscus can be grown and I understand these lengths of hibiscus plants were planted and are carefully maintained. The percentage of plant covered with flowers has been increasing in the last couple of weeks and the variety of the huge blooms has to attract your attention.












No comments:

Post a Comment