Friday, August 23, 2019

I'll trade you something for your shoes

Zimbabwe is in a terrible economic situation. We were told the unemployment rate is near 80% and this extreme level reflects a slight improvement. Our bus driver who was once a coal miner told Cindy and I of a mining operation that had not paid the worker for 6th months and still demanded the workers continue to work or lose their jobs. Cindy asked about his job in the tourism industry and how those who knew him reacted to his income. He said that it was difficult because others were constantly asking for money and he would call relatives before returning so he could bring some goods such as potatoes and cooking oil to meet the needs of his immediate family. We had just returned from a craft market and he explained how helpful the small purchases made are. Whatever the craftspeople take in for the day may be what is available for their families to eat and meet basic needs.

Before we headed to the craft area our South African leader explained about bargaining and even made a few small purchases to show the group how it was done. You will be quoted an extremely exorbitant price. Respond, more or less, by suggesting that this price was ridiculous and then respond with a very low price. He suggested that the goods were made from inexpensive raw materials and you were pretty much paying for the labor that was involved. He argued that whatever is given is helpful to the craftspeople and their families.

Cindy did the haggling. She has experience in such things and also knew the kinds of items she wanted. The following are some pictures from the craft market and the items Cindy purchased in the first phase of her shopping. She went back this afternoon because she promised some craftsperson that she would and to continue her practice of supporting the shopping economy of wherever she happens to be.








While I was standing around watching I was continually approached by vendors. I told them that I was waiting for my wife while she was shopping and she had all of the money. For some reason, this explanation of why I would not look at their work was hilarious to them and then laughed among themselves I suppose at my expense. A couple of times and this happened more than once so I am sure I heard them right I was asked if I wanted to exchange particular articles of clothing for goods from their shops. I can understand it possibly made sense when someone wanted my vest, but one vendor wanted to swap for my shoes. I told him that this would not be possible because I needed to walk back to the bus that brought me to the market. "Maybe you will come back," he said.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment