Monday, August 26, 2019

Chobe River Elephants

We leave our Chobe River headquarters in the morning. We were told the Internet connectivity where we are going next is not very good so I thought I better get this post completed because I may be offline for several days.

We have had the opportunity to see hundreds of elephants in Chobe National Park from the very young to an old elephant splayed out on the road unable to get up dying. There is the majesty of these very large animals which from a jeep you may find yourself 1o yards away, but watching them en masse as they paraded down to the river for water was even more amazing. I have some video of this procession and I will try to add once I get home.

We have viewed these animals in two ways - from our safari jeeps and from a riverboat. After some long outings in a jeep, the river approach was interesting. The river is not that deep this time of year so these are not that large. They are similar to what I would call a pontoon with a roof - narrower with two rows of seats. You do see some different animals this way - hippos and crocodiles - and you are sometimes closer because the jeep drivers are required to stick to the established trails and cannot always approach the animals that are spotted.









No comments:

Post a Comment