Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Bugs

The preparation for a trip to Africa requires that you visit a travel clinic, read some warnings from the CDC, and get some shots and medications. The information is enough to scare you. Don't drink the water and remember to use bottled water when brushing your teeth. Wear the highest concentration DEET you can find, long sleeve shirts, and don't venture out in the still of the morning or evening. Don't wear black or bright colors. I am guessing it is enough to scare some off and I admit I was a bit concerned, but had some comments to ease my fears from friend Stan.

So, here is the word on the bugs. If you are concerned about the number of bugs and say have experienced Alaska or northern Minnesota or Wisconsin, there is no comparison. It is torture in the evening to walk from the dock to our northern Wisconsin cabin in the summer because of the mosquitos. The ticks are also gross and have sent us to the clinic for shots a couple of times [I had one attach between my toes once when I was wearing sandals. Thinking I must have athletes foot because I am such an athlete, I did not seek medical attention until I started to notice red streaks up my ankle and calf. Not even a test for Lyme disease - immediate antibiotics.]

However, the consequences of exposure to mosquitos and tsetse flies in Africa can be damaging. The mosquitos are mainly known for malaria and the tsetse flies for sleeping sickness. We are taking medication for malaria. We did mostly invest in khaki-colored clothing to avoid tsetse flies.

In summary, the insect density at this time has been low. It still pays to take precautions.


This is a tsetse fly trap you see along the roads in Zambia. I think it works in a somewhat similar manner to the devices some are using to limit the damage to their gardens from Japanese beetles. The flies are attracted to the black and blue colors and then there is a vial of liquid (you can see the pocket) the lures the insect in to kill them.


In addition to the high concentrate DEET we brought along, we found two forms on bug repellant in our room. Imagine the line-up of complementary products, shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion, insecticides, and you kind of get the picture. There was a lotion infused with DEET that was supposed to smell pretty good. I am guessing this second can was provided to assure reluctant tourists. It implies that what is contained within would kill pretty much anything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment