Sunday, January 28, 2018

Gone Pie!

The further you get from home the more unusual the food choices become. Minneapolis has pretty much anything you can imagine, but some of the menu items in Hawaii are unique.

We celebrated tonight with a trip to the Hanalei Gourmet. The tab was on me because I happened to look at my Amazon account and some class somewhere must have adopted my textbook. I write a textbook, but most of my sales seem to be to individuals. When you sell more than individual copies at the beginning of a semester, it seems more likely you have a class adaption. Good deal.

I should have taken a picture of my fish sandwich which was marlin, but it is difficult to tell which fish is which from a fillet. Marlin is a very solid meat and the preparation was great. I also appreciated that the french fries came with malt vinegar. I prefer malt vinegar to ketchup possibly because we lived near the Canadian border for so long and the Canadians like their malt vinegar. I am not certain what qualifies as gourmet for other folks, but malt vinegar is close enough for me.

Now, I know that ice cream pie with chocolate is not that unusual, but I am a fan when the portions for the rest of the meal are small.


Coffee ice cream, macadamia nuts (the Hawiaan touch), chocolate sauce and whipped cream. The restaurant probably had a name for the pie. Gone Pie works for me.

I will try to provide some more unique local dishes in the future - shaved ice over ice cream, acai bowls, poki bowls, poi stuff (over meat or in donuts?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment