Saturday, February 20, 2016

Tolls and Hawks in Kansas

Why should I have to pay tolls to take Interstate 35 through Kansas. It can't possibly be that I was granted the opportunity to view spectacular scenery. I paid approximately $20 to drive through the state plus the tax money I was charged for food and gas. I lived in North Dakota and then moved to Minnesota and Wisconsin. No tolls in these states. Clearly, Minneapolis is a major metropolitan area with complex highways and congested traffics, but makes no such requirements. The no toll states also have great open spaces that may not have local taxes that would support an expensive transportation project. 

I am thinking Kansans are just cheap and want to take advantage of those needing to get through the state. Perhaps they are irritated few stop. Those of us needing to make the trip should receive special compensation for having the view all of the Rock, chalk, Jayhawks signs. I know from general knowledge that these signs have something to do with basketball, but what about the signs would offer such information. To an outsider, it might seem that signs were touting some staple of the local economy or perhaps advertising the local zoo. It seems that the state bird is some kind of hawk and the local economy may depend on gravel sales. I did see hawks perched on dead trees and hay bales along the interstate. I am interested in raptors, but these "jay" hawks were hardly worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment