Saturday, February 13, 2016

Hangin with our KOA homies



One of the surprises on this trip is that camping is popular and it is nearly impossible to get into a national or state park unless you book a year in advance. Weekends are especially challenging because you then have both travellers (not be confused with snow birds) and locals enjoying their days off. 

For the first time, we have resorted to a KOA. This is a whole different experience and a whole different crowd. I included a picture to help explain some of the differences. I seldom embellish my pictures, but I added an arrow to this one so that our rig would be noticed.




By now I have become fairly proficient at maneuvering in reverse and I was able to slide into our spot without damaging our neighbors. Hit one of those vehicles and I would have to ask for donations. I hate backing under supervision. They have this guy whose job is to take you to your spot in his golf cart. He then hangs around until you are positioned correctly. Between him and the neighbor sitting in his lawn chair reading on his ipad, I had an audience. No problem.

The lack of space at a KOA is more than made up for by the price - $65. However, given our present data plan challenges, this has turned out to be a decent deal. At $15 a gig, I figure we are saving $30 a day by having access to KOA wifi. It comes right to your "camping" spot and you don't have to walk down to headquarters and sit on the bench to use free wifi. We also have cable television. More than 50 channels. We did have to find a Walmart to purchase a coaxial cable so we could connect. Add this cost in the negative column.


I added a couple of beach pictures so it would not seem like we spent all of our time lounging at the KOA. 




[South Padre Island, TX]

No comments:

Post a Comment