Thursday, February 4, 2016

I am a fan of straight lines

For whatever cognitive gifts I might possess, I do have to contend with some significant challenges. One of the more debilitating is my lack of direction. I never really know where I am at or where I have been. I would not have lasted long in pioneer times. I would wander off and that would have been the end of me.

I have developed some compensating strategies over the years. I have apps on my phone that allow me to be s little more adventurous when I am walking or driving the Ranger in the woods. There is always that potential risk that my battery may run out and I will be unable to retrace my steps. That little element of danger does make my life interesting, but I do keep an eye on the battery meter.

My go to strategy for all conditions is to move in straight lines. The beauty of this strategy is that it does not rely on a sophisticated mental map. I am incapable of generating such a map even when familiar with an area for many years. What I can do is to remember turns as long as the list does not become too long. As I acquire a lot of experience, I can modify this strategy to get to new places by remembering the turns to get to an old place that is close to the new place and then taking a straight line to the new place.

Camp grounds are a bad environment for me to navigate. Things are normally laid out as connected loops rather than straight lines. I guess I would be fine within a loop - within a loop the strategy is similar to the strategy for following a straight line. Follow the path and do not take an exit. However, moving from loop to look gets very tricky. I hate it when there are few lights at night and I have to try to get to the bath house and back. I take my phone in case I have to call someone to come and get me. 

I am lucky at this state park. I am located on a great straight road so I can get some exercise without experiencing stress.





I still take my phone for security. You can see what I mean by a straight line.


No comments:

Post a Comment