Saturday, January 23, 2016

Driving in Circles


Today, the time for me to do battle with the Giant Hill of Ice finally came. I have been dreading this day for weeks. Last night I awoke at 2 and kept going through options for attacking the hill. How fast could I go and not risk losing control? What if I made it half way up and then had to try to back down? What if my backing skills failed me and I backed the trailer into the ditch?

It took about two hours to get everything packed for departure. Cindy became annoyed with my heavy breathing and constant comments about "the hill". She even accused me finding work to do as a way to avoid getting on with things. First time I have been criticized for emptying the dish washer.

The hill was nothing. What you see here is the view from the top. It was so much fun I even did it twice. And that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story.

Our departure was somehow hurried. I was worried and Cindy was annoyed with me. This may have led to some other issues.

As we drove, Cindy realized that we had left several documents on the kitchen counter. Included were our "Good Sam" identification cards and insurance card. She called and they provided an identified number we could use. First problem resolved.

We were about 70 miles down the road when Cindy discovered something else. We had brought one set of keys for the camper. Having only one set of keys on a long trip is not ideal but we could probably get by. However, the set of keys we brought did not have the key for our hitch lock. We had purchased a lock for our hitch that made it difficult to separate the car and trailer with a bolt cutter. You don't want someone unhooking your trailer during the night when you are staying in a motel and driving off or removing the trailer from an unattended camp site. This was a problem.

We turned around and started back for the cabin. One hundred and fifty miles of practice driving the trailer.  Down the big icy hill. Then we had to turn the rig around in our parking area. Maneuvering car and trailer in tight spaces is not easy.  It was a smoother process in the Fall when we could drive onto the grass and did not have to stay within the snow banks. We were eventually successful and we faced the second attack on the hill without concern. Everything went smoothly from then on.

Son Todd sent us a word of wisdom as we took off. I have no idea what he would be reading that would have brought up this observation, but he quoted Lewis Carroll.

If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there.

He said that the Carroll statement reminded him of us. I think Carroll had it right, but I have no idea if this was intended to be a positive observation. I think Steve Jobs offered a similar sentiment that I know was intended as positive.

The journey is its own reward.

[Rockford, IL]

Actually, Jobs was quoting Homer, but there was no citation.

No comments:

Post a Comment