Saturday, January 28, 2023

Dolphins

 I happen to get some photos of dolphins yesterday. Lynn was walking back from the coffee shop and said there were dolphins close to shore just down from the condo we are staying in. We could see them from the lanai using binoculars. I decided to walk down to the shore with my telephoto lens and see if I could get some photos.

The dolphins were in a group of some size. I guess the label for such groups is pod and there seem to be 25+ within view. I don't know if what we could see contained more than a single pod and whether different types of dolphins swim together. I do know these were in the same area for more than an hour about 150 yards from shore. The acrobatic jumps were impressive and mostly what I photographed. Some were spinning as they jumped and I know there is one type of dolphin that spins, but not whether all can spin, but some just do it much more frequently. 

I was using a 70-200 lens at maximum magnification. The full image (see the group image) allows a recognizable look at individual dolphins, but not a lot of detail. The individual images of leaping dolphins were created by cropping parts from individual images.








No comments:

Post a Comment