Wednesday, September 11, 2019

My pasty post

I am not a foodie, but I have noticed that I post food and drink photos when I travel. We do try different things when we are on the road. In Hawaii it was poke and shave ice. I thought these were really unique, but we did see a new poke eatery in Minneapolis and I saw a sign for shave ice today (upper peninsula).

Today I did run across an old friend - the pasty. I have also seen it spelled pastie, but I was careful to identify what we ate today as a pasty. The pronunciation is past ee and not paste ee. To me, it seems like a chicken pot pie (if you get the chicken pasty) with a little different shape. These must be shaped and then baked without a pie tin. When you drive down the road here it is not difficult to find a little shop that serves these goodies. The density of restaurants with this offering within this narrow band of the country is interesting. This is not a fine dining item. We noticed workers stopping by for several that they took away in a bag and headed off in their pickups.


This would definitely be described as a comfort food. The gravy and cole slaw complete the meal. 

A little Internet revealed a Pasty trail in case you need an interesting travel guide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment