Thursday, February 22, 2024

Does Hawaii have seasons

I have spent most of my life living in the North of the U.S. and with the North you get seasons. The weather here does change, a lot, but the temperature range is small. I consulted the National Weather Service on the matter, and the official claim is that Hawaii has two seasons - winter and summer. Winter lasts from October to April and the rest is summer.

I started thinking about this topic because of Plumeria. I think of Plumeria as the flower commonly used in leis. The connection with seasons is that this time of year the Plumeria looks like a Minnesota deciduous tree - it looks dead. Everything else is green and flowers are everywhere, but this one type of tree is bare.

Then gradually a flower or two appear and maybe a couple of leaves. It seems weird to see a tree with one flower, but this is the type of thing I notice on my walk. I watch carefully when I spot a tree like this to see if someone has picked the flower to put behind their ear. Gradually, more flowers and leaves emerge over a month or so. 

Hawaiians could have a Spring if the would agree that the time flowers appeared on a Plumeria tree was the beginning of Spring. 









No comments:

Post a Comment