Friday, July 16, 2021

Door County

 Door County, Wisconsin, strikes me as one of those places that decided the big money was in tourism. The original revenue sources - probably lumber, fishing, and maybe specialized agriculture - became the base for coffee shops, lots of camping areas, boat tours, fancy dining facilities and guest accommodations, some golf, fudge shops, and wineries. The limitations of the land translates as scenic beauty and the lack of industry allowed the other original sources of income to become tourist attractions.

Door County seems to encourage the development of cherry orchards and wineries often on the same farms. I did not inquire regarding this combination, but diversification is good. I tend to think of the type of cherry being harvested while we are here as the main ingredient for cherry pies (with ice cream if possible). Too tart of the tree. I did really like the cherry donuts and the cherry salsa with chips. I am not a wine snob so whatever tastes good to me I will drink. We sampled the summer wines and purchased a couple of bottles. I make the effort to explore good coffees, but while I have had great wines in great locations (e.g., South Africa) I have just not made the same effort to evaluate what I am drinking. 


One more thing. Tourist destinations are just that because they attract lots of people. This seems to be the way things are everywhere this year. 










No comments:

Post a Comment