Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Taro Ko Chips Factory

As we spend more and more time here, our exploration has moved toward the more unique. Today we drove the length of the island to visit an old, small, and slightly run-down wood building that looked even less kept up on the inside - the Taro Ko Chips Factory. Cindy had read about it online. It took us a little while to find it even knowing that it did not have an impressive appearance. We nearly entered someone’s home before we realized we were at the wrong address.



This story from Hawaii Magazine (https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/chips-and-dale-the-tasty-handmade-chips-of-kauais-taro-ko/) provides details I would not have been able to offer from our visit. The “factory” is really a couple of old guys making small batches of chips with very simple equipment. I don’t really like taking photos of people without speaking with them first and I was concerned that photography might be misinterpreted. I really thought I had one photo showing the inside of the location, but I must not have pressed the button on my phone after setting up the shot. 



The chips are really good. We have eaten various Hawaiian chips before, but the one bag of sweet potato chips we went through last night (the middle bag in the photo dusted with Li Hing Mui) [https://onolicioushawaii.com/li-hing-mui/] were thin and sweet. Yes, we ate the entire bag. I give the chips my highest rating and the experience of visiting the “factory” I will place in the category of “unique”.


No comments:

Post a Comment