Sunday, October 2, 2022

Hemingway’s Paris

 Being confined to quarters is kind of a bummer, but I am feeling pretty well. The view out the window can be great, but we mostly move at night. You can only watch so much International CNN. Still, all in all, we have decided this has to be labeled as a unique experience. We have travel insurance for this trip so there is no financial concern.

I have a few things I can write about and that seems a productive way to pass the time.


I have been trying to read a book targeting the area in which we are traveling. While we were last in Kauai, I tried to listen to Michener’s Hawaii. The audio version is 52 hours long. I usually listen to audiobooks before I go to sleep which often means I have to repeatedly back up because I fall asleep and lose track of the story. 


This trip I am reading Hemingway’s Paris. This book is the effort of a writer and a photographer attempted to capture Hemingway’s psyche and explain his writing method. The book is not uplifting as Hemingway while artistically gifted and driven had more than his share of demons. He married, had a child, and then divorced resulting in a melancholy that followed him throughout the rest of his life.



As I said earlier, the book combines text and black and white photos. I was able to take many similar photos. 


A favorite Hemingway haunt. 



These boxes line sections of the Seine. Individuals own these boxes and sell old books and posters. If you know. What you are doing you may find a valuable original. 




No comments:

Post a Comment