Friday, October 8, 2021

Worker Shortage

 I am a coffee shop junkie. Coffee is part of this addiction, but I can make high quality coffee drinks at home. I enjoy the ambiance of coffee shops and I particularly like the shops that are not part of a chain. The different clienteles interest me. I also enjoy writing in coffee shops and my shop time has suffered in the pandemic. Sometimes, I can sit outside. If the sun is not too bright, I can even write. 

There are three coffee shops within about a block and a half in Bayfield, WI. We have visited this small committee on the big lake several times so I have been in each more than once. 




We made it to Bayfield at about 10 which is prime coffee shop time. It was a Monday and none of the shops were open. The first shop had a large container out front with a stack of paper cups, sugar, etc. and a jar for contributions. I could see an employee sitting inside the shop who later came out to bring more cups as business was brisk. There was a sign on the door that they would not be open on Monday or Tuesday because they did not have enough staff. I wrote the first post on this trip sitting in front of this coffee shop using my phone as a hot spot. I had no clue what the password was.

The shop next door was closed with a sign on the door and no coffee outside. 

The third shop was closed, but we did find it open after lunch. We bought a couple cups of coffee and I asked the older lady about the situation. She said they were an ice cream shop, but people kept asking about coffee so they added a pot. I asked about the problem finding help and she said that only old ladies are willing to work. There was a tip jar on the counter with a sign that said "College fund". I asked the lady who was about my age if she was saving money for college. She said no, I might have to get a tattoo. This seemed a bit strange, but some folks have unusual expectations when it comes to entrance requirements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment