Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Brat man

I seldom make small talk with strangers, but when I do it could very likely be a brat man.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1tPuBpCLFj7GhUiZw77B2vC2m_2It-MTE

Another day and another farmers’ market. Today’s market was small and nearly at the point of critical mass where there won’t be enough venders to draw customers. It was located near the severe Kauai flooding of a year ago.

Markets are one of the few shopping outings I tolerate beyond just finding what I need and making a purchase. Markets have interesting and unusual stuff and interesting people. The vegetable farmers have to really work with hand labor to generate crops worth mass sales. Those who sell food typically must have a unique offering. I am drawn to the brat guys and I have a collection of photos. 

This guy did not work ahead so your brat was not ready when you wanted to make a purchase. I suppose this tactic was necessary because of the relatively small crowd. So, I stood around and talked while he prepared my brat. I told him I had high standards because I purchase brats in Minnesota and Wisconsin where the brat is sacred. He said he would do his best. He said he was having trouble with his brats exploding that particular day and thought when he made them with his partner the night before they meat was too wet. I responded that I new little of the art of brat creation, but weighed in more on the quality of the consumption. I told him he would be added to my collection of brat men and showed him a few photos. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1lEFcBFxQfd2c-bEJrk9gFN5isvWZFZGi

I thought the brat was average, but I do award extra points for the island condiments. The combination of fried onions, peppers, and pineapple was pretty good.


I am curious about the existence of brat women. Women vendors in the market trade seem focused on baked goods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment